Tuesday, April 14, 2015

How we met

Dear Grandkids,

Your grandmother and I were students at the University of Nebraska, in Lincoln, Nebraska. We each lived in separate student housing (dormitories) for men and women, graduate and undergraduate, students who shared the same cafeteria.

She had a roommate named Cathy who was dating a man named Gary. Gary was in the dormitory room across the hall from me.

Most of the guys who had rooms on the same dormitory floor with Gary and me ate dinner at the same big table in the cafeteria. Girls who some of them knew AND THEIR ROOMMATES often came to join us.

It was a new semester and Cathy had a new roommate, named RITA. That is how we met in the cafeteria; she sat across from me. Later Gary learned from me that I liked Rita. He told Cathy, and Cathy told Rita.

Late one morning I went for a late breakfast at the cafeteria. Rita was already there (with no one else). I got my pastry and coffee and asked if I might join her. She said yes.

Sometimes things can be very simple, like how your grandma and I first met.

No comments:

Post a Comment